Tips to Keep Your Gums Healthy After Gum Contouring Surgery
Are you bothered by the appearance of a “gummy” smile or teeth that look too short? If so, you may be a good candidate for gum contouring surgery with Las Vegas, NV general and cosmetic dentist Dr. Michaela Tozzi. Gum contouring is a periodontal procedure that can offer both health and aesthetic benefits for your smile. The team at Michaela Tozzi, DMD invites you to read on to understand the benefits of gum contouring surgery and how to best maintain your results after treatment.
How does gum contouring surgery work?
Gum contouring is the process of removing excess or overgrown gum tissue from around the teeth. In some patients, the presence of this tissue presents aesthetic concerns, leading to an uneven tooth-to-gum ratio within the smile. As a skilled general and cosmetic dentist, Dr. Tozzi uses minimally invasive laser technology to gently remove excess gum tissue from affected teeth, exposing a greater amount of tooth enamel and creating a more balanced, wider smile. Laser gum removal offers a minimally invasive approach that does not require the need for incisions, sutures, or a lengthy gum contouring recovery time.
What are the benefits of gum removal surgery?
At Michaela Tozzi, DMD, we often perform gum removal surgery for Las Vegas, NV patients seeking to improve their oral health and appearance. Balanced, healthy gums help frame the teeth, contributing to a more attractive smile. Gum contouring surgery can offer several exciting benefits, including:
- Reshapes an uneven gumline
- Treats a gummy smile
- Improves gum health
- Minimizes periodontal pocketing
- Reduces the risk of gum disease
- Makes short teeth appear longer
Maintain healthy gums with these tips
Keeping your gums healthy following gum contouring is key in preserving and enjoying your smile results for many years to come. Dr. Tozzi also suggests the following tips to maintain healthy gums during and after your gum contouring recovery time.
- Following laser treatment, our team will provide gum contouring aftercare instructions to help facilitate proper healing, such as avoiding certain foods, eating a soft food diet, and possibly using a mouth rinse. Adhering to these recommendations is important to your oral health and comfort.
- Brush gently yet thoroughly with a soft bristle or electric toothbrush at least twice a day. Removing plaque and bacteria from the gums and teeth is essential for keeping your gums healthy.
- Floss gently yet thoroughly between and around each tooth on a daily basis. Dental floss gets into areas where your toothbrush can’t reach, helping to clean the surfaces between your teeth and under your gums.
- Avoid parafunctional habits, like chewing on pens or your fingernails, or teeth grinding, as this can affect the condition of your gums. If you feel like you may be grinding or clenching your teeth at night, please talk with Dr. Tozzi about ways to protect your teeth and gums from this habit.
- Keep up with routine preventive dental care. Regular dental cleanings and check-up visits at our Las Vegas, NV dental practice give us the chance to remove plaque and tartar from your teeth. This can help preserve the health of your gum tissues and teeth along with your gum contouring results.
Enhance your smile and oral health with laser gum removal
If a gummy smile or overgrown gum tissue is keeping you from smiling with confidence, we invite you to schedule a visit at Michaela Tozzi, DMD to explore the option of gum contouring surgery. Using a laser approach, Dr. Michaela Tozzi performs this periodontal treatment to enhance both gum health and the appearance of the smile. Reach out to our Las Vegas, NV general and cosmetic dental practice today, and take a step toward a more confident smile!